• Home
  • Intra-Company Transfer

Intra-Company Transfer to Canada

If you work for a company that has a parent company, branch, subsidiary, or an affiliate in Canada, you may be eligible to obtain a Canadian work permit through the Intra-Company Transfer program.


  • Foreign worker is being transferred to a position in an executive, senior managerial, or specialized knowledge capacity
  • Foreign workers being transferred to Canada must have been employed continuously (via payroll or by contract directly with the company), in a similar full-time position for at least one year in the three-year period immediately preceding the date of initial application
  • Foreign workers should be coming to Canada to perform comparable work
  • There must be a qualifying relationship between the employer and employee in order for a work permit to be issued
  • The foreign worker is coming to Canada for a temporary period only and will comply with all immigration requirements for temporary entry


Duration of work permits

  • Initial work permit: one year
  • For renewals, evidence should be provided that the Canadian and foreign companies still have a qualifying relationship, the new office has engaged in the continuous provision of goods or services for the past year and the new office has been staffed


For Employers 

Employers bringing international staff to Canada as intra-company transferees are exempt from the requirement to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Therefore, this process is simpler, faster and more cost effective way to bring skilled international staff to Canada.

Contact us today for assessment!