Visit Canada

Visitor Visa allows you to visit Canada temporarily, typically for up to 6 months. During your stay, you must abide by the conditions of your visa, which may include refraining from working or studying without the appropriate authorization.

Canada has visa-exempt agreements with many countries, which means that citizens of these countries can visit Canada without a visa. If you hold a passport from a visa-exempt country, you can travel to Canada with an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) if you are flying to Canada or with your passport if you are entering by land or sea.

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport. It is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.  If you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.

With a valid eTA, you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays (normally for up to six months at a time). You do not need an eTA for travel within Canada.

A super visa lets you visit your children or grandchildren for up to 2 years at a time. It’s a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years.


To be eligible for a super visa, you must:

  • be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
  • have a signed letter from your child or grandchild who invites you to Canada that includes: a promise of financial support for the length of your visit, the list and number of people in the household of this person, a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
  • have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is: valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry, at least $100,000 coverage
  • have proof that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes aren’t accepted

You must also:

  • apply for a super visa from outside Canada
  • be allowed to enter Canada
  • take an immigration medical exam
  • meet certain other conditions ( i.e. your ties to your home country, the purpose of your visit, your family and finances and the overall economic and political stability of your home country)

Business visitors are persons who stay in Canada for a few days or a few weeks to attend meetings or an event, and can stay for up to 6 months.

To qualify as a business visitor to Canada, you must show that

  • you plan to stay for less than 6 months
  • you don’t plan to enter the Canadian labour market
  • your main place of business, and source of income and profits is outside Canada
  • you have documents that support your application
  • you meet Canada’s basic entry requirements, because you
    • have a valid travel document, such as a passport
    • have enough money for your stay and to return home
    • plan to leave Canada at the end of your visit
    • are not a criminal, security or health risk to Canadians


Activities you may conduct as a business visitor include

  • buying Canadian goods or services for a foreign business or government
  • taking orders for goods or services
  • going to meetings, conferences, conventions or trade fairs
  • giving after-sales service as part of a warranty or sales agreement
  • being trained by a Canadian parent company that you work for outside Canada
  • training employees of a Canadian branch of a foreign company
  • being trained by a Canadian company that has sold you equipment or services

If you’re otherwise inadmissible but have a reason to travel to Canada that is justified in the circumstances, you may be issued a temporary resident permit.

To be eligible for a temporary resident permit, your need to enter or stay in Canada must outweigh the health or safety risks to Canadian society, as determined by an immigration or a border services officer. Even if the reason you’re inadmissible seems minor, you must demonstrate that your visit is justified.


Extend your Stay

If you are already in Canada, irrespective of whether you are a visitor, student or worker – maintaining a valid immigration status in Canada is important.

If you are out of status in Canada and continue to live and/or work in Canada, you may :

  • be removed from Canada and deported to your home country 
  • be refused entry to Canada in future
  • affect the outcome of your future applications to IRCC


Extending your status

If you apply to extend your status before it expires, you may be able to successfully extend it. Visitors can stay longer in Canada, students can extend their study permit, etc.

With regards to the Work permit, depending on the kind of work permit, you may be able to extend it. Open work permits like Post Graduate Work Permit cannot be extended. Please book an appointment with us to discuss your options.

Restoring your status

If a temporary resident has lost their status or let their authorization to work or study expire, they may apply to restore that status.

The applicant must

  • apply within 90 days of having lost their status
  • meet the initial requirements for their stay
  • remain in Canada until a decision is made
  • have not failed to comply with any condition imposed automatically by regulation or by an officer, other than those stated below
  • have lost their status only because they have failed to comply with the specified conditions imposed by an officer
  • continue to meet the requirements of a temporary resident and the requirements of the work or study permit, as applicable


Contact us today to assess your eligibility!