Immigration Pathways in Canada for H1B Visa Holders

  • Home
  • Immigration Pathways in Canada for H1B Visa Holders

Immigration Pathways in Canada for H1B Visa Holders

With the recent Executive order imposing restrictions on H1B visa in the United States of America (USA), lots of people are now looking for alternate pathways to live and work in North America. Canada is a popular destination for immigrants offering good quality of life & a safe and welcoming living environment.

Canada offers various immigration pathways to live and work in Canada:

Work Permit

In most cases, you will need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) based job offer to be eligible for a Canadian Work Permit. Unlike USA, Canada does not follow lottery system to issue Work permits – if your employer and you meet the required criteria, your application will be processed

Permanent Residence

If you have a H1B Visa already, or were planning to apply for one, there is a very good chance that you may meet the criteria for one of the Express Entry programs , namely Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades program. If you have worked in Canada in the past, you may also be eligible for Canadian Experience Class program. A comparison of these federal immigration programs can be found on IRCC Website.


If your spouse, common law partner or conjugal partner is a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident in Canada, they may be able to sponsor you to live in Canada.

Other Programs

There are various other programs like Provincial Nominee Program, Rural and North Immigration Pilot, etc. that could also be potential options for immigrating to Canada. Each program has its own eligibility criteria and requirements.


If you want to take this opportunity to enhance your education and skills, Canada offers state of the art universities that you can enrol in. Some educational programs are eligible for Post Graduate Work Permit Program. Read our blog to learn more.


Disclaimer : Information provided in this blog article cannot be deemed as legal advice.



Leave Comment